many great screen savers in the net, why run the same one over and
over? Alternate Meta Screen Saver lets you see a new monitor protector
every time your screen saver kicks in. You assemble a list of all of
your installed screen savers, and Alternate takes care of rotating them
randomly or sequentially. It's still a nice -- and free -- way to add
some variety to your system.
here if you want to see a screen shot
Install Alternate :
Only run Alternate.exe and answer to the
Alternate will use the association between
.scr files (screen savers) and the system. Some programs change this
association to match their criterias. The main use of that is for old
style .scr pictures files. In this case, Alternate cannot work. So
delete this association to let the system know that these files are
screen savers. To check your system, go into the explorer, and double
click on a .scr file. If the saver runs, it is ok. In the other case,
you have launch the program which have got the association. See its
documentation to see how to change the associations.
Alternate is not a picture swapping program.
If you want to build your own screen savers with your pictures, do not
use Alternate. Its purpose is to show other savers, not pictures.
What's new ?
Alternate changes since the
- Small fix on memory and/or processor
- Alternate becomes XP compatible.
- New button 'Delay' to automaticaly change
the saver at regular intervals.
- New install program.
- New German user interface, for German
- Small selection bug fixed.
- Correction of a language problem, which
have inverted English and French versions.
- Version 2.01 (12/18/1999)
- Some savers, like the Charisma Carpenter
(you know, the pretty Buffy's friend) do not want to be configured if
no arguments are specified. Even if the Windows rule says that no
argument or '-c' is equivalent. My correction will let configure also
this kind of savers.
- The savers used by Alternate can be
everywhere on the machine.
- New buttons allow to test and configure
each savers directly from the Alternate screen, before selecting them.
- Each button has now a tool tip. It can be
- Some other corrections, like the 100 savers
limit deleted, or the hang up at the first launch suppressed.
- New random selection of the saver to show.
For the sequence selection, the next saver can be selected.
- Correction of the savers names.